Grenfell Tower: Fire started in Hotpoint fridge-freezer, say police

Grenfell Tower: Fire started in Hotpoint fridge-freezer, say police

The Grenfell Tower fire in London started in a fridge-freezer, and outside cladding and insulation failed safety tests, police say. The Metropolitan Police say manslaughter, health and safety, and fire safety charges will be considered. A total of 79 people are feared dead after the blaze destroyed 151 homes in the Kensington tower block and nearby. In Salford, cladding is to be removed from nine of its residential tower blocks because of safety concerns. The…

Read More

London fire: 58 missing, presumed dead – police

London fire: 58 missing, presumed dead – police

A total of 58 people are dead or missing, presumed dead following the devastating fire at Grenfell Tower in west London, police have said. Commander Stuart Cundy said that number “may increase”. The BBC understands it could be around 70 people in total. The recovery operation at the burnt-out block of flats has resumed and could take weeks, he said. Meanwhile, PM Theresa May admitted support for families in the “initial hours” was “not good…

Read More

London attack: Video emerges of police shooting

London attack: Video emerges of police shooting

A video has emerged showing armed police shooting dead the three men who carried out the London terror attack. CCTV footage shows the three men attacking a pedestrian in Borough Market before charging at armed officers. The men are then shot dead. It comes after police investigating Saturday’s attack – which left eight people dead – made three fresh arrests during raids in east London. In total, 17 people have been arrested and five remain…

Read More

Two London attackers named by police

Two London attackers named by police

Two of the three men who carried out Saturday night’s terror attack in London have been named by police. They said Pakistan-born Khuram Butt, 27, of Barking, London, had been known to police and MI5 but there had not been any intelligence about an attack. The other attacker was Rachid Redouane, 30, from Barking, who police said had claimed to be Moroccan-Libyan. The attackers were shot dead by police. All 12 people arrested after the…

Read More

London attack: Police 'know identities of killers'

London attack: Police 'know identities of killers'

Police investigating Saturday night’s terror attack in London say they know the identity of the three attackers who killed seven people and injured 48. The Met Police said their names would be released “as soon as operationally possible” as officers work to establish if they were part of a wider network. PM Theresa May said victims included a “number of nationalities”, saying it was “an attack on the free world”. It comes as police have…

Read More

Manchester attack: Armed police guard bank holiday events

Manchester attack: Armed police guard bank holiday events

Armed police will guard hundreds of events across the UK this bank holiday weekend following a reassessment of security after the Manchester bombing. Senior officers are encouraging people to go out but to remain vigilant on the first holiday weekend with the national threat level at its highest. Security is being increased at football cup finals at Wembley and Hampden Park and the Great Manchester Run. Police are now questioning 11 men over the attack…

Read More

Manchester attack: 'Immense progress' made by police

Manchester attack: 'Immense progress' made by police

Police have made “significant arrests and finds” in their inquiry into the Manchester Arena bombing, according to the UK’s top counter-terrorism officer. Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said they had “got hold of a large part” of the terror network they believe bomber Salman Abedi was part of. “Immense” progress has been made, he added, but more arrests were likely. Meanwhile, US singer Ariana Grande has said she will return to the “incredibly brave city” for…

Read More

Manchester attack: Police 'not sharing information with US'

Manchester attack: Police 'not sharing information with US'

Police investigating the Manchester Arena bomb attack have stopped sharing information with the US after leaks to the media, the BBC understands. UK officials were outraged when photos appearing to show debris from the attack appeared in the New York Times. It came after the name of bomber Salman Abedi was leaked to US media just hours after the attack, which killed 22 – including children – and injured 64. Theresa May is to raise…

Read More
1 2 3 4