Barcelona attack suspect named as Younes Abouyaaqoub

Barcelona attack suspect named as Younes Abouyaaqoub

Spanish police have confirmed the identity of the driver suspected of killing 14 people in last week’s attack in Barcelona. He is 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub, officials say, and the manhunt has been extended across Europe. New CCTV footage from the day of the attack appears to show him fleeing the scene on foot. One woman died in a second attack and officials have now confirmed a 15th victim, stabbed to death in his car. At…

Read More

Barcelona attack key suspect Moussa Oukabir confirmed dead

Barcelona attack key suspect Moussa Oukabir confirmed dead

The key suspect in Thursday’s Barcelona attack, Moussa Oukabir, has been named as one of five men killed by police in the other attack site, Cambrils. Police had earlier said they were searching for Oukabir and three other men. Now only one remains unaccounted for. Four suspects have been arrested. Thirteen people were killed when a van, said to be rented by Oukabir, rammed crowds in Barcelona’s Ramblas district. Police say the suspects had been…

Read More

Barcelona and Cambrils attacks: Hunt for suspect in Spain

Barcelona and Cambrils attacks: Hunt for suspect in Spain

A massive manhunt is under way in Spain for the man suspected of killing 13 people and injuring scores on Barcelona’s Las Ramblas on Thursday. Spanish media named the man being sought as 18-year-old Moussa Oukabir. He is suspected of using his brother’s documents to rent the van that mowed down people on the famous boulevard. Hours later, police killed five suspected jihadists in a second vehicle attack in the town of Cambrils. A woman…

Read More

Charlottesville car-ram suspect James Alex Fields denied bail

Charlottesville car-ram suspect James Alex Fields denied bail

Media playback is unsupported on your device A 20-year-old man accused of ramming his car into a crowd of protesters at a white nationalist rally in Virginia has appeared in court via video from jail. James Alex Fields was denied bail as he was arraigned for second-degree murder, three counts of malicious wounding and one count of hit and run. Heather Heyer, 32, died and 19 were injured when a car hit demonstrators in Charlottesville…

Read More

Birmingham pub bombings: IRA suspect Hayes issues apology

Birmingham pub bombings: IRA suspect Hayes issues apology

Media playback is unsupported on your device A self-confessed IRA bomb maker who has said he was part of the group responsible for the Birmingham pub bombings has issued an apology. Twenty-one people were killed on 21 November 1974 when bombs exploded in two city centre pubs. Six innocent men were wrongfully convicted. No-one has ever been brought to justice for one of the worst single losses of life in the Troubles. Michael Christopher Hayes…

Read More

Finsbury Park attack suspect named as Darren Osborne

Finsbury Park attack suspect named as Darren Osborne

Media playback is unsupported on your device The man arrested on suspicion of carrying out a terror attack near a north London mosque is Darren Osborne from Cardiff, the BBC understands. The father-of-four was held after a van hit Muslims who had been attending evening prayers in Finsbury Park. They had been helping a man who had collapsed. He later died but it is not clear if it was because of the attack. Mr Osborne,…

Read More

Dortmund explosions: 'Islamist' suspect held over team bus attack

Dortmund explosions: 'Islamist' suspect held over team bus attack

German police have detained a suspect with “Islamist links” following a bomb attack on the bus of the Borussia Dortmund football team. Prosecutors also said the three explosive devices contained metal pieces. Two letters claiming the attack on Tuesday evening were being investigated, they said. Prosecutors are treating the blasts as a terrorist attack but say the precise motive is unclear at present. Chancellor Angela Merkel on Wednesday said the attack was “an appalling crime”…

Read More

St Petersburg metro explosion suspect 'from Central Asia'

St Petersburg metro explosion suspect 'from Central Asia'

Media playback is unsupported on your device The man suspected of killing 11 people in a St Petersburg train is in his early 20s and from Central Asia, Russian media report. At least 45 people were also injured in the explosion between two underground stations on Monday afternoon. An explosive device was later found and made safe at another station nearby. The Interfax and Tass news agencies said the suspect had been identified, but there…

Read More
1 2